Open Programme 2023
Awards Plus Open Programme 2023-24
Nature-based youth awards for young people looking for extra help.
What is the Open Programme?
- Personalised, practical support and guidance creating opportunities to participate and complete a range of nature-based youth awards.
- A consistent and welcoming space for support, sharing and meeting other young people completing awards.
- It introduces a variety of youth awards to young people who may be unfamiliar or unsure of them.
- It highlights that activities can contribute to more than one award and be part of personal pathways. Opportunities for integration and progression through different awards are supported.
- Staff and volunteers offer additional support for individuals to participate and achieve.
- It’s individual rather than group-focused, bringing together young people from different backgrounds and geographies to participate.
Who is it for?
Young people aged 14-25, from Edinburgh & The Lothians, who may be missing out on opportunities due to
- practical, logistical, financial reasons
- additional support needs
- reasons associated with mental health & wellbeing.
There’s no need to be part of an existing a group.
Individuals and referrals from youth groups and schools welcome.
Registered volunteers are welcome to assist and to work towards awards outcomes themselves.
Opportunities, guidance and direct delivery include:
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (including eDofE, Sections, Expeditions) John Muir Award, Heritage Hero Awards, Scottish Junior Forester Award, Junior Ranger Award, Saltire Award, Junior Award Scheme for Schools/JASS and others
- Skills-based awards including Ramblers Scotland’s Out There Award, Lowland Leader Award, National Navigation Award Scheme, First Aid, Leave No Trace
- Awards Plus Expeditions Programme for individuals, focused on DofE Bronze, Silver, Gold Levels
- Drop-in sessions for individual support, sharing, skills/award-related inputs
- Themed initiatives – participation, pointers e.g. Proxy Walks, 30 Days Wild, #iWill
- Signposting to activity, training and volunteering opportunities
Drop-ins – Introductions, Information, In-person
When: 6th December, 5-7pm
Where: The Risk Factory, 20 New Mart Road, Edinburgh, EH14 1RL
Ages: 14-25 years, open to new members all year.
Come along and hear about how you can turn your hobbies and interests into awards, and/or receive help for awards you are currently working towards. At this Drop-In, we will be chatting about The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and the John Muir Award, and making decorations for the December holidays!
It’s a chance to:
- address award-related questions/issues/support needs
- share experiences, ideas, opportunities
- find out more about awards, Sections, skills
How to get involved
Contact Amber Williams, email@example.com
- For further information on Awards Plus or the Open Programme/Drop-ins.
- To introduce yourself as a young person and just say hi.
- To register to receive a monthly email update
- To say you’d like to attend a Drop-in/Expedition
- To sign up for activities, award support and specific programmes