We maintain a store of outdoor equipment for low-cost hire by local DofE groups, youth organisations and families at The Risk Factory, 20 New Mart Road, Edinburgh EH14 1RL
FOTA Members receive a 50% discount on hire rates, and can borrow equipment free of charge for 24 hours for training sessions.
We are open by appointment only, normally within the following hours:
- Collection: Thursdays from 11:00 to 19:00
- Return: Wednesdays from 11:00 to 19:00
- Late Returns: overdue items can be returned to reception at The Risk Factory.
- On Edinburgh School Days: Monday-Thursday 09:00-17:00 and Friday 09:00-15:00
- Edinburgh School Holidays, except Bank Holidays: Monday-Thursday 09:00-16:00 and Friday 09:00-15:00
- Outwith these times we may be open but please phone us before you travel.
- Or, if it’s easier, you can return items by post or courier – please pack them carefully, address them to FOTA, The Risk Factory, 20 New Mart Road, Edinburgh EH14 1RL and please make sure you pay the correct postage.
Kit Store Volunteering
We require volunteers to help operate the stores from March to October. This will include signing kit in and out (customer service), repairs and maintenance. The role is open to adult volunteers or it could be a DofE volunteering opportunity for a young person. Two hours every second week would be fantastic.
Team Volunteering Days
We have a successful partnership with State Street Bank where employees assist in our Kit Store for one day a few times a year. We may be able to accommodate additional organisations for team volunteering days especially during our quieter months of February, May, August and November. Contact us with your ideas.
Donations & Funding
Most of the equipment in our Kit Store has been purchased using grant funding, this allows us to buy quality equipment that is fit for purpose and having consistent stock helps ensure ongoing maintenance is cost-effective. Our equipment is very heavily used and eventually items need to be replaced.
Donate Old Equipment
If you have some equipment that no longer fits or perhaps you’ve stopped using something but it’s still in good condition, please let us know. Your old kit could help young people of limited means to undertake outdoor adventures in comfort. We can accept:
- Walking boots (leather only)
- Waterproof jackets (sizes 10/XS to XXL)
- Day sacks (25-40 litres)
- Rucsacks (60-70 litres)
- Sleeping bags (synthetic only)
- Alloy tent poles
- Plain alloy or steel tent pegs
Donate New Equipment
If you’d like to donate some new or nearly-new equipment, we’d be extremely grateful for anything from this list.
- Vango Mirage 300 tent
- Trangia 25-2UL with gas burner
- 8-person Storm Shelter (Vango/Rab/Terra Nova)
- Silva Expedition 4 compass
- Ortlieb Map Case
- Vango Ultralite Pro 300 sleeping bag
We have other items on our wish list too so feel free to get in touch to discuss making the best use of your generosity.
Charitable grants ensure we can maintain sufficient stock of good-quality outdoor equipment to meet demand for Duke of Edinburgh’s Award expeditions and in particular to make sure that young people who are financial disadvantaged can take part in outdoor activity, safely and in comfort. If you know about a source of funding which may benefit us, please get in touch.